- Who we are
ONERA is the French aeronautics, space and defense research lab.
A multi-disciplinary organization with experimental means unique in Europe,
ONERA brings expertise to government programs, both institutional and industrial.
- What we do
Research at ONERA meets the major challenges of the aerospace and defense industries.
It is the only organization in France gathering all the knowledge and skills in these areas.
DESP - Space Environment
Ever since its creation in 1967, the DESP's objective has been to evaluate the environmental conditions of space missions and prevent the damage they may cause.
Areas of expertise
The DESP studies and models the different components of the space mission environment (mainly charged particles and solid micro-particles) and evaluates the associated risks with on-board experiments and simulations on the ground.
Its work mainly covers:
- The physical modeling of planetary radiation belts,
- Engineering models (charged particles and solid micro-particle flows),
- The satellite's interactions with its environment (contamination, effects of wakes, charging and discharging effects,...),
- The vulnerability of electronic components and materials,
- The design, calibration and operation of on-board experiments intended for the study of the environment and its effects
- Institutional and thematic publications
- Scientific publications
- The French Aerospace Lab Journal
- Lessons, presentations, conferences