Blow down hypersonic wind tunnel with axisymetric nozzles (Ø 0.68 to 1 m), Mach 6.4 ; 10 and 12.
The Modane S4A wind tunnel produces an airflow at a maximum stagnation pressure of 120 bar and a maximum stagnation temperature of 1.800 K.
Run duration up to 90 seconds (with 8,000 m3 vacuum downstream tank at 10 mbar).
- Compressed air: 270 bar, 29 m3 upstream storage tanks, repressurized by a 5.7 kg/s mass airflow compressor.
- Vacuum: 0.010 bar minimum pressure, 4.000 or 8.000 m3 storage tanks, sucking in air at up to 15 m3/s.
INSTRUMENTATION AND MEASUREMENT METHODS
- Data acquisition system with 48 to 72 analog channels, and possible extension up to 120 channels by adding simplified channels for thermal measurements.
- Steady measurement rate up to 25 Hz per channel with a 14-bit A/D converter.
- Unsteady measurement rate up to 100 kHz per channel (80 channels).
- Pressure measurement by individual transducers or PSI® electro-pressure scanner: rate can reach 1,472 mean values every 10 seconds (the average value is calculated from a sample of 127 results per channel).
- Temperature measurement by thermocouples infrared thermography, on thermo sensitive paints.
- Force measurement by ONERA 6-components balances; numerous balances available and new ones manufactured on request; hinge moment measurement by appropriate balances.
- Flow visualization by steady or spark shadowgraph (800 mm field diameter), colored oils, thermosensitive paints, infrared.
- Laser velocimetry on request.
- Portable data acquisition and processing system designed to support off-line model preparation.
|Nozzle||Mach 6.4||Mach 10||Mach 12|
|Outlet diameter||0.685 m||0.994 m||0.994 m|
|Throat diameter||75.43 mm||36.61 mm||21.53 mm|
|Maximum Reynolds number(L=1m)||28 million||7.8 million||3.2 million|
|Run time (standard conditions)||40 to 90 seconds||25 to 85 seconds||25 to 85 seconds|
|Runs per 8-hour day||5||5||4|